I picked up an Ingers Universal OD grinder at an auction. The price was right, or so I thought. It is in rough shape.
Stripped it down and inspected it.
Pressure washed and painted base.
I disassembled and cleaned the gearbox. The grease was nasty. It had separated out to oil and wax/paraffin. I had to scrape and pick it off.
The gears that feed the grinder in and out are pretty rough. It had 6 complete turns of backlash. The pinion gear will need to be bushed. This worm gear is the primary source of the 6 complete turn of backlash. In the picture is the new worm wheel and pinion shaft. This had been reworked prior in life. The worm gears, pinion shaft and pinion gear are not original to this machine.
I ordered up some new gears for the feed screw. Gears cost $61.00, an outrage! There was about .030″ clearance between the shaft and the housing. I bored the housing and install some brass bushings I had laying around. I found a length of 1″ chromed rod to use as a shaft.
The pinion gear had been cutting into the housing. I squared it up.
I cut the hub off the pinion gear, bored and broached it.
More to follow…